Get more high genetic merit heifer calves with LIC sexed semen.
A selection of LIC’s top bulls are available in SexedULTRA 4M® semen.
This is the most advanced technology in the market today – giving farmers a 90% chance of producing a female calf.
- Breed your herd’s next generation from your best cows
- Boost genetic gain
- Reduce bobby calf numbers
- Create opportunities from surplus calves
- Target the market with beef-cross calves
- Drive more profit to your bottom line.
There are wider considerations to keep in mind to optimise sexed semen on farm.
A New Zealand trial showed that frozen sexed semen thawed at room temperature averaged 13% lower conception rates compared to conventional semen.
Europe and US trials showed that frozen sexed semen thawed at 37 degrees Celsius and inseminated 16 hours after a standing heat resulted in a 3% to 6% difference between sexed and conventional semen.*
Execute a well-managed plan to reap the benefits of sexed semen.
- Mate yearling heifers to sexed semen – they have higher conception rates than milking cows.
- choose bulls suitable for yearling mating
- pregnancy scan early to identify cows in-calf to AI bulls
- mate heifers 10 days before the main herd
- avoid mix-ups by calving cows in-calf to AI bulls separately to cows in-calf to stock bulls
- use strict criteria when selecting cows for sexed semen. For example, young, high genetic merit, healthy, early-calved and cycling cows
- mate selected cows before your herd’s mating start date. Move the mating start date forward if necessary
- ensure herd fertility is high before you consider using sexed semen
- be certain cows are on full standing heat before mating with sexed semen. If you're unsure use a conventional straw
- have plenty of stock bulls ready to cover returning cows. For example, two teams of one bull to three non-pregnant cows if using two-year-old bulls, plus spares
- follow STgenetics® handling and insemination instructions for SexedULTRA 4M®.
Maximise herd improvement and profits on your farm with targeted use of LIC sexed semen.
Contact your farm solutions manager to discuss sexed options for your herd.
*Trial information provided by STgenetics®