LIC is a farmer-owned co-operative that provides leading-edge genetics and solutions to improve the productivity and prosperity of dairy farmers all around the world.
If there’s one certainty with dairy farming, it’s that it never stands still. It’s always evolving, changing and looking ahead. It’s always improving.
Our approach to dairy farming is no different.
In 1909, we started improving the quality of New Zealand's national herd. Today, LIC's breeding programme is one of the largest of its kind in the world.
Our co-operative empowers livestock farmers through:
- Genetics and information to create superior livestock
- Information to improve decision making to enable superior livestock performance
- Hardware and systems to improve productivity and decision making
- LIC International – adding value for dairy farmers worldwide
- Three out of four New Zealand dairy cows are sired by an LIC bull
- Over 10 million milk samples are analysed by LIC each year with information added to proof of sire
- Over 4.7 million dairy animals recorded on one national database
- 5 million straws of fresh semen are dispatched all over New Zealand during spring mating season
- Over 1 million frozen semen straws were sold internationally in the 2017-2018 season
- We export to over 20 countries worldwide
- Around 11% of revenue is invested back into the research and development of new products and
Whatever the challenges of the times or the marketplace, our job will remain the same.
That job is to continue to improve the genetics of dairy cows globally, improve the information that farmers have and the way they use it, and improve profitability through smart and innovative technology. Because, as we all know, there's always room for improvement.
There's always room for improvement.