Get more high genetic merit heifer calves with LIC sexed semen.
A selection of LIC’s top bulls are available in SexedULTRA 4M® semen.
This is the most advanced technology in the market today, giving farmers a 90% chance of producing a female calf.
- Breed your herd’s next generation from your best cows
- Boost genetic gain
- Reduce bobby calf numbers
- Create opportunities from surplus calves
- Target the market with beef-cross calves
- Drive more profit to your bottom line.
There are wider considerations to keep in mind to optimise sexed semen on farm.
New Zealand and Irish trials showed sexed semen averaged lower conception rates compared to conventional semen. This can influence calving pattern, which is a key driver of herd profitability, especially in block calving systems. Trial information is available on request.
- Mate yearling heifers to sexed semen as they have higher conception rates than milking cows.
- choose bulls suitable for yearling mating
- pregnancy scan early to identify cows in-calf to AI bulls
- mate heifers 10 days before the main herd
- avoid mix-ups by calving cows in-calf to AI bulls separately to cows in-calf to stock bulls
- use strict criteria when selecting cows for sexed semen. For example, young, high genetic merit, healthy, early-calved and cycling cows
- mate selected cows before your herd’s mating start date. Move the mating start date forward if necessary
- ensure herd fertility is high before you consider using sexed semen
- be certain cows are on full standing heat before mating with sexed semen. If you're unsure use a conventional straw
- have plenty of stock bulls ready to cover returning cows. For example, two teams of one bull to three non-pregnant cows if using two-year-old bulls, plus spares
- follow STgenetics® handling and insemination instructions for SexedULTRA 4M®.
Maximise herd improvement and profits on your farm with targeted use of LIC sexed semen.