LIC is a cooperative, so belongs exclusively to its New Zealand-based dairy farmer customers.
The company has a proud history, having pioneered several key initiatives that today provide New Zealand dairy farmers with their competitive edge on the world stage. Examples include the systematic herd testing of milk quality, the distribution of Long Last Liquid (fresh) semen, and the introduction of DNA technology to genomically identify, and select, elite sires.
Our work to continuously improve dairy cow performance continues: A significant part of this responsibility is to provide reproductive solutions that suit the needs of individual farming customers.
Our origins, which date back to the early 1900s, lie in animal performance management tailored to an innovative and wide range of products and services that deliver profit to a wide range of livestock farmers. Including:
- Beef, deer and dairy animal recording,
- Dairy herd testing and milk analysis laboratories,
- Farm automation solutions for beef and dairy,
- Industry statistics and trends,
- Animal health management,
- Traceability systems for beef, deer and dairy,
- On-farm consultancy service,
- Research and development,
- Progeny testing for the dairy and deer industries,
- DNA analysis across species – beef, dairy, goats and pigs, artificial breeding for the beef, dairy and deer industries.
LIC’s head office is at Newstead in the Waikato with regional bases around New Zealand, branches in Australia and Ireland plus agencies in South America, United States, Asia and South Africa.
Our revenue is in excess of NZD$177 million per annum and the company has consistently delivered net surpluses that exceed our strategic objectives. The majority of these surpluses are paid to our dairy farmer shareholders as dividends, making LIC shares one of the highest yield shares on the NZ Stock Exchange.